$10 a Day

A few days ago I ran across this article in the Washington Post. The article focuses on Reed Sandridge, a Washington, D.C., businessman who was laid off from his job about a year ago. Inspired by his late mother, who had told him "when you're going through tough times, that's when you most need to give back," he began his "Year of Giving." Each day Sandridge gives one person $10 and talks with each about his or her background and what he or she plans to do with the money. He then records all of these stories in his blog.

This article really touched me and made me think about what I could do to give back now that I no longer am working. I definitely can't give people $10 each day (I'd be broke within a few months), but I am looking for opportunities to give back some of my time. It's inspiring to think that someone going through such a discouraging situation can turn it into something so positive and proactive. I'd like to think that the next few months could be that way for me.

I haven't yet decided what I would like to do, but I have begun looking for volunteer opportunities near me. Hopefully I can turn this time of loss into a season of "cheerful giving."

No comments:

Post a Comment