American Cup


Last Saturday I drove out to Worcester (Woo-stah or Wi-stah if you're local) to attend the American Cup, an international gymnastics competition held each year. I've watched the competition on TV for years, but this was my first time to go to it live. It was an easy drive out to Worcester and a beautiful day as temperatures climbed into the 50s. I didn't even have to wear a jacket. If only all spring days could be like this . . .

The competition included both the men's and women's all around. I realized a few days before that I knew very little about any of the competitors besides Rebecca Bross, Jonathan Horton, and Fabian Hambüchen of Germany. However, it was still exciting to see world-class gymnasts performing right in front of me. The men's events were especially impressive since I had never seen them before. I was in awe as they performed on the still rings and pommel horse. Those guys have to be the strongest athletes per ounce — I can't imagine a football player being able to do some of the things gymnasts can do. It was nice to see Rebecca Bross win with Alexandra Raisman of Needham, MA, finishing second. Maxim Devyatovsky of Russia (with his New Kids on the Block ponytail) won the men's title.

I had only one big issue with the event: lots of screaming little girls. Pardon me as I step up on my soap box. I appreciate that USA Gymnastics is trying to bring in young fans and get them excited about attending gymnastics events. I think they do a great job with that and believe that U.S. Figure Skating could learn a lot from what they are doing. However, these girls need to understand that it is not appropriate to scream for another person (JOHNNY!) while a gymnast is performing. (And the mothers need to stop egging them on and teaching them how to scream louder. You learn manners at home!) It's perfectly fine to scream during the short breaks between events or when the crowd is doing the wave (even if I still will exercise my right to cover my ears). Just please respect these athletes who are doing amazing things and could hurt themselves if they lose concentration. And please respect the other spectators who also paid to enjoy the event. Stepping off soap box now.

The competition ended around 3 p.m. so I drove over to the shopping center in Millbury. I ate a late lunch/early dinner at T.G.I. Friday's and then looked around a few of the stores. I headed home soon after that. I'm so excited for the warmer weather and longer days; hopefully I'll be able to get out on day trips a little more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment