October 2012 Round-Up


Happy Halloween! It's time for my October round-up.

What I Read...
  • Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares: I read the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books a few years ago, so I decided to pick up the newest book when I saw it at Goodwill. It was a nice diversion, even if the subject matter wasn't quite as light as I hoped it would be.
  • Blackberry Winter by Sarah Jio: I've enjoyed reading Jio's previous two books, and this one was just as wonderful. This book isn't great literature, but sometimes it's nice to read a sweet book that doesn't make you think too much. I also loved that it took place in Seattle.
  • The Technologists by Matthew Pearl: My first book on the iPad. I enjoyed reading about the early days of MIT and returning to Boston for a little while, even if it was only in the pages of a book (screen on the iPad?).
  • The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling: I tried but barely made it 100 pages in. I miss Harry and his friends.
What I Watched...
  • The Perks of Being a Wallflower: This was a wonderful movie. I wanted to see it because of Emma Watson but left more impressed with the performance of Logan Lerman, the young actor who played the main character Charlie.
  • Sense and Sensibility: I watched my new DVD of the PBS miniseries last weekend. (It was a birthday present.)
  • TV: I've enjoyed watching some of my old favorites (Dancing with the Stars, Castle, Grey's Anatomy) and discovering new shows (Upstairs Downstairs).
What I Want to Remember...
  • Taking my first flying trip all by myself. I loved visiting Seattle; the fall colors, cooler temperatures, Pike Place Market, Space Needle — and of course, the skating — were wonderful.
  • Attending my second skating competition this year. I think this is the first time it has ever happened. I need to keep going because Ashley Wagner always wins when I see her live.
  • Celebrating my birthday with my family the first weekend in October. As always, they made it special.
  • Dressing up as McKayla Maroney for Halloween. It was fun to be "unimpressed" all day.
  • Learning my way around my new iPad. It really is a lot of fun to use, but I'm not completely sold on the Kindle app yet.
  • Attending the UT-WVU game earlier this month. The outcome wasn't in the Longhorns' favor, but it was definitely one of the best games I've ever seen live.
  • Getting crafty one weekend and creating my Seattle scrapbook before the trip.
  • Enjoying my special birthday cupcake from Gigi's Cupcakes.
  • Knowing that Sammy was well taken care of while I was gone because my entire family was in Austin.
What I'd Like to Forget...
  • The OU game (for obvious reasons).



About My Monthly Round-Ups
At the end of each month, I take a look back and write a post about the month's highlights, as well as what I read and watched. To see all of my round-up posts, visit this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment