Weekend with Mom & Dad | May 2014

Mount Bonnell

Happy Sunday!

I thought I would take a break from my Europe posts to share some pictures from last weekend when Mom and Dad were in Austin. They arrived late Friday night, so we had all day Saturday to explore. I decided to take both of them to Mayfield Park and Preserve, or as I like to call it, "the place with the peacocks." (I visited the park for the first time last year.) The peacocks are so tame and let people walk right up to them all around the park. We were all a little disappointed that none of the peacocks decided to show off their feathers while we there, but they still vocalized for us. (Strangely, their voices sound a little bit like cats' meows.)

Peacock

Peacock

Peacock

Red yucca

Water lily

The park is located very close to Mount Bonnell, one of Dad's favorite places in Austin, so we also visited there while we were in the area. The views of Lake Austin and downtown are just extraordinary. It was a beautiful spring day, and many people were enjoying boating on the lake down below.

Lake Austin

Lake Austin

Austin skyline

University of Texas

After we climbed down from Mount Bonnell, we were hungry, so we headed to Matt's El Rancho for a late lunch. We spent the rest of the afternoon hitting some of our favorite Austin places, including BookPeople, Half-Price Books, Paper Source and Whole Foods. I also introduced Mom to Room Service, a vintage store I've visited a few times. We enjoyed looking around, and I even found two wooden dolls from the U.S.S.R. to add to my collection. We ended the day with ice cream at Amy's, where I convinced Dad to take some pictures with me in the photo booth.

The next day, we went to church in the morning and had lunch at the new In-N-Out Burger in Cedar Park. Since I had to be back at church around 3 for the spring concert, we looked around a few places there before Mom and Dad dropped me off at the apartment so I could get ready. The concert began at 4, and I think both of our pieces went well. I enjoyed playing "Over the Rainbow" since we had one of the choir members sing along, and our other piece ("All Things Bright and Beautiful") had a fun Caribbean flavor.

Mom and Dad headed home after the concert, but it was great to have them in Austin for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment