Thoughts on U.S. Nationals

 photo IMG_0190_ed_zpse7d5cd98.jpg

It's been two and a half weeks since the U.S. Figure Skating Championships ended, and it's taken me about that long to process all of my thoughts on the competition. This is what I know...

  • Figure skating can still make me cry. As an Ashley Wagner fan, I wanted her to skate well, and it was so difficult to see her finish fourth. I'm glad U.S. Figure Skating put her on the team (she deserves it), but it would have been much easier (for her, for other fans, for my nerves) if she had finished in the top 3.
  • Jeremy Abbott has been one of my favorite skaters for years, but he never seems to put it together when it counts. He's been brilliant at Nationals in the past but finished ninth in Vancouver. I'm so glad he won the men's title for the fourth time at Nationals, and I'm hoping the best for him in Sochi.
  • I'll be on pins and needles watching Meryl Davis and Charlie White (above) skate in Sochi. Both of their programs are absolutely wonderful, and I'd love to see them cap off their season (and possibly their careers) with an Olympic gold medal.
  • Gracie Gold has the perfect name for an Olympic figure skater, and her skating is now backing that up. She's on the cover of the Olympic preview issue for Sports Illustrated, but hopefully the SI curse won't hit her.
  • Jason Brown makes me smile...and apparently a lot of other people agree (3 million+ hits the last time I checked YouTube). He's a star in the making, and if you take one thing away from this post, you should check out his long program on YouTube.

And that's what I have for now. I'm hoping to write a preview of the figure skating events before the Olympics start. so stay tuned. The 2014 Olympic Games are a little over a week away!

No comments:

Post a Comment