March 2013 Round-Up

Happy April Fool's Day! It's time for my March round-up.

What I Read...
  • Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys: This book told the story of the woman in the attic from Jane Eyre. It was interesting in spots, but it definitely wasn't my favorite.
  • Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn: The only way to describe this book is WOW. There was so much going on that it's hard to describe the story without giving too much away. I'm glad I was finally able to read it after putting my name on the library waiting list a few months ago.
  • The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult: This book was a departure for Picoult, but I enjoyed it because it focused on the story of a Holocaust survivor. As often happens with stories that switch between the past and present, I found the older story more compelling. It was still a great book, and I'm glad I was able to finish it this past weekend.
What I Watched...
  • Oz the Great and Powerful: It was okay, but I like the original Wizard of Oz (and Wicked) more.
  • Admission: I was surprised this movie wasn't any funnier since Tina Fey and Paul Rudd were in it. I did like one character quoting the prologue to The Canterbury Tales, though — it brought me back to senior English for a moment.
  • I watched a few older movies on TV: West Side Story and Pride and Prejudice (1940). 
  • I caught some of the World Figure Skating Championships on my laptop. One of the internet feeds was from England, and it was fun to hear the commentators describe the action ("What a cracker!"). 
  • DVDs: I finished the second season of Felicity this month. I also watched half of When Harry Met Sally before the DVD stopped working.
  • TV: Castle, Grey's Anatomy, DWTS, some March Madness, Brady Bunch reruns on TVLand
What I Want to Remember...
  • Having my mom spend a weekend with me in Austin. We shopped, worked on several projects around the apartment, and visited the food carts on South Congress.
  • Spotting the first wildflowers blooming around Austin.
  • Meeting Michelle's new puppy Eva.
  • Spending Easter weekend at home with my family. We packed a lot in the last few days — a trip to Canton, egg-dyeing at the farm, introducing Handy and Max, Easter dinner, and more.
  • Seeing Meryl Davis and Charlie White win their second world title in ice dance (in Canada, no less.) I was also happy Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold skated well enough to earn the U.S. women three spots for the Olympics.
  • Getting ready for church in less than 20 minutes when I overslept for our early bells performance the morning after the time change. I can get ready quickly if I put my mind to it.
  • Seeing the ground covered with hail from an overnight storm. It really did look like snow.
  • Working out in my fun new work-out shoes.

Easter eggs




About My Monthly Round-Ups
At the end of each month, I take a look back and write a post about the month's highlights, as well as what I read and watched. To see all of my round-up posts, visit this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment