Weekend with Mom, March 2013

Shopping with Mom


Last month my mom came down to Austin for a long weekend. We shopped, explored new places, ate some wonderful food, and worked on several projects around my apartment. It was wonderful to spend this time with her, and I thought I would share a little bit about our weekend here. (Warning: This is a very text- and photo-heavy entry.)

Mom came down on Friday afternoon, and we spent our first few hours together picking up some chalk paint from a store in Cedar Park and eating lunch at Einstein's Bagels. I had a haircut at 2:30 p.m., so Mom dropped me off and shopped a little on her own. Once I finished at the salon, Mom and I headed up to Georgetown for the rest of the afternoon and evening. We stopped in several of the little shops on the square and found a few treasures. Since we both needed shoes, we also went to the DSW across the interstate (where I found my fun neon blue work-out shoes). Our last stop of the day was Monument Cafe, where we each had the fried catfish and shrimp plate. We split a chocolate pie for dessert; it was good, but I missed having a real crust.

The next day we put the first coat of paint on my coffee and end tables and then drove out to Marble Falls. The road there was super hilly and curvy, so it took a little while to get out there. Once we made it into town, we went to the Blue Bonnet Cafe. There was a long line out the door, but it moved quickly and was definitely worth the wait. We both ordered hamburgers and then split (another) chocolate meringue pie for dessert. Everything was delicious!

Blue Bonnet Cafe
Blue Bonnet Cafe

After we finished lunch, we drove downtown and looked around. The only things we bought were a book a piece (of course). I also enjoyed taking pictures around town (and Mom enjoyed taking pictures of me taking pictures, for some reason). We decided to head back after that but took a different way since the other road had been so hilly (and slow). Along the way, we were excited to spot the first bluebonnets of the season — always a momentous occasion each spring! We also stopped at a flea market in Burnet and found a few things.

Downtown Marble Falls
Downtown Marble Falls

Bluebonnets
The first bluebonnets!

Once we were back in Austin, we went to JCPenney and Target to look for new curtains (we found some — and a new duvet cover — at Target) and then brought our purchases home. We got out a little bit later to pick up Fire Bowl for dinner and spent the rest of the evening at home, working on our different projects and watching the World Figure Skating Championships on a British internet feed (well, I did the last part).

On Sunday, Mom and I went to church in the morning and then drove down to South Congress to eat at the food carts. The food carts closed after the end of South by Southwest, so we got to eat there on the very last day. We shared Thai fried rice from Coat & Thai and then split a cupcake from Hey Cupcake! It was nice to walk around the area since SXSW was still going on; there were parties at several of the venues along the way and we could hear live musicians playing. At least I can say I've done SXSW. :)

Coat & Thai
Yummy Thai food

South Congress
Strolling down South Congress

Hey Cupcake!
Hey Cupcake!

3-17 Car Mom
An unusual way to park | Mom enjoys our strawberry cupcake

Smile
Smile!

We spent the rest of Sunday finishing up our different projects and managed to get everything done. I'm planning to write another post about everything we did around the apartment soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment