April 2013 Round-Up

This April went so quickly for me. It seems like just yesterday I was heading back to Austin after spending the Easter weekend at home. Here are a few highlights from the past month:

  • It was incredibly moving to visit the Bonfire Memorial at Texas A&M University on April 1. I had the memorial entirely to myself and was able to spend several minutes reflecting at Jamie Hand's pillar. It's hard to believe it's been nearly 14 years since the bonfire collapsed.
  • I spent April 4 at home because the internet wasn't working at the office. Since I couldn't access any of my files from my laptop, it was pretty much a free day.
  • During the first weekend of the month, Mom and Dad came down to Austin for a brief stay. We really only had the chance to eat dinner at Matt's on Sunday and lunch at Jason's Deli on Monday, but it was nice to see them one more time before their European adventure.
  • I was excited to finally make good on my promise to explore more of Austin this year. Over the past month, I ate at P. Terry's for the first time (yum!), saw the "You're My Butter Half" mural in East Austin, and visited the peacocks in Mayfield Park. Hopefully I can cross a few more Austin-related things off my list in the coming months.
  • I played bells with Bethany Bells the morning of April 21. The performances went pretty well (even the 8:30 a.m. one).

Unfortunately, this month wasn't without a few moments I'd like to forget. The bombings in Boston and the West fertilizer plant explosion hit very close to home. However, in the midst of all this grief and tragedy, I was inspired by the stories of human resilience and bravery. Good will triumph over evil. Always.

Books I read: Death Comes to Pemberley (P.D. James), The Blue Castle (L.M. Montgomery), An American Childhood (Annie Dillard)

Movies I watched: The Sapphires, Jane Eyre (DVD)

TV: Dancing with the Stars, Castle, Grey's Anatomy, Mr. Selfridge, Call the Midwife, Felicity (DVD)

I decided to try out a new format for my round-up this month. I'm not sure if this is what I will use from now on, but I wanted a change.



About My Monthly Round-Ups
At the end of each month, I take a look back and write a post about the month's highlights, as well as what I read and watched. To see all of my round-up posts, visit this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment