Rediscovering The Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Last week I stumbled upon Sarah Bessey's blog and her post about the 10 books she could read over and over again. I was amused to discover I had read eight of the ten books on her list and loved each and every one of them. (I think Sarah and I must be reading soul mates.) One of the books on her list was The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery, so I decided to reread it. It's probably been more than 10 years since I last read it, and unlike many of Montgomery's other books, The Blue Castle isn't one I read over and over (and over) again while I was growing up. Since it's considered one of her adult novels, I thought it would be nice to read it again as an adult.

The book was an easy read, and I flew through it in a few days. Once again, I fell in love with Montgomery's beautiful language; she has a way of describing things that make you want to be a part of her characters' world. I also thought it was interesting to read it now since I'm only a couple years older than Valancy. (The first time I read it I probably thought 29 was SO OLD.) Several things struck me this time through that I know I didn't think about years ago— for instance, how difficult it would be to live at home with no employment and to be considered an "old maid" at age 29.

The story also reminded me of another one of my favorite novels: Jane Austen's Persuasion. Both Valancy and Persuasion's Anne Elliot have families who never show an appreciation for either of them. They are peacemakers trying so hard to keep everyone happy that they often ignore their own needs. Both novels show their transformation as they take control of their lives and become stronger, more capable women (for their time, anyway).

After reading The Blue Castle again, I'm looking forward to reading the Anne books later this year. I think revisiting the world of Avonlea sounds like a fun summer activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment