Weekend Adventure | Marble Falls & Pedernales Falls

Bluebonnet Cafe

Last Saturday I went on a mini-adventure, and it all started with pie.

Really.

Bluebonnet Cafe in Marble Falls has some of the best pie around, and ever since my mom and I ate there last year, I've been wanting to get back. This weekend finally seemed like the perfect time, so I headed out early on Saturday morning to drive to Marble Falls. I made it to the restaurant a little after 11 and got in line. The line moved very quickly, and once I made it inside, the lady handling the seating asked me if I'd mind sitting at the counter. That didn't sound bad, so I followed her to the counter and placed my order. It was only 11:30 at this point, much earlier than I expected to make it in.

I ordered fried catfish for lunch, but the best part — you guessed it — was the pie. Cherry pie to be exact. I asked for a to-go box for my lunch so I could savor that entire piece of pie. It was wonderful.

Afterward, I realized I had a lot more time in the day than I originally expected. I checked Google Maps on my phone and realized Pedernales Falls State Park was only 30 minutes away. I've been wanting to visit, so I drove over to the park. I wasn't dressed for hiking at all (I was wearing Keds), and I didn't have my hat or any sunscreen, but I decided to make the best of it.

The falls were really beautiful, and it was fun to climb out on the rocks to see everything up close. I had to use my best rock climbing skills to move between the different areas and did pretty well until my feet slipped completely into the water between two rocks (yep, wet feet). Things got even better when I had to walk across sand a few minutes later. Luckily, I had seen everything by that point, so I headed back to my car to clean up and cool off as best I could.

Pedernales Falls State Park

Pedernales Falls State Park

Pedernales Falls State Park

Pedernales Falls State Park

Vultures

Pedernales Falls State Park

After I left the park, I drove back to Marble Falls so I could go to Walmart for a new pair of shoes. I then started back to Austin and made a quick stop at Pottery Ranch, where I met Pancho and Lefty and one of the largest metal chickens I've ever seen. I also stopped at the Knot Hole when I passed through Burnet before coming home.

Pancho and Lefty

Pancho and Lefty

Metal chicken

The moral of the story: sometimes good things come from pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment